Being a nurse is a wonderful job that calls for a wide range of abilities, including empathy, critical thinking, and professional knowledge. One of the most important abilities that nurses and nursing students must have is the ability to do Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) and Trauma Life Support (TLS). These abilities are essential for enhancing results in community as well as hospital settings and for maintaining patient safety. The significance of BCLS and TLS skills for nurses and nursing students will be discussed in this article. An emergency basic cardiac life support training for nurses was developed by the nursing program at Institut Teknlogi Sas dan Kesehatan RS dr SOEPRAOEN in partnership with EMT 118 Surabaya in order to fully meet these competencies at September 12 -16th 2023.
Basic Cardiac Life Support, commonly known as BCLS or BLS, is a fundamental set of life-saving techniques that can be applied in emergency situations involving cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, or choking. For nurses and nursing students, BCLS is a cornerstone skill that holds immense significance for several reasons. This skill include some crucial part including:
- Immediate Response: Nurses are often the first healthcare professionals to witness a medical emergency. Possessing BCLS skills enables them to respond promptly and initiate crucial life-saving measures until advanced help arrives.
- Increased Survival Rates: Studies have shown that early initiation of BCLS significantly improves the chances of survival following a cardiac arrest. Nurses equipped with these skills can make the difference between life and death in such critical situations.
- Versatile Application: BCLS skills are not limited to hospitals alone. Nurses working in various healthcare settings, including clinics, schools, and even in the community, can utilize these skills to assist individuals in distress.
- Team Collaboration: BCLS training emphasizes effective communication and teamwork, crucial components in a healthcare environment. Nurses and nursing students trained in BCLS are better prepared to work seamlessly with other healthcare professionals during emergencies.
In the other hands, Trauma Life Support, focuses on the assessment and management of traumatic injuries. This skill is particularly valuable for nurses working in emergency departments, critical care units, and trauma centres. This kind of skill include:
- Rapid Assessment: Nurses with TLS training can quickly and accurately assess the extent of traumatic injuries, allowing for prioritization of care and efficient resource allocation.
- Minimized Complications: Early intervention through TLS can prevent complications and secondary injuries, thus improving the overall outcome for trauma patients.
- Pain Management: TLS training equips nurses with the knowledge and skills necessary for effective pain management in trauma patients, ensuring their comfort and well-being.
- Pre-hospital Care: In some cases, nurses may be required to provide trauma care in pre-hospital settings, such as accidents or disaster scenes. TLS skills enable them to respond effectively to such situations.
Basic Cardiac Life Support and Trauma Life Support are not merely skills; they are lifelines that can make a profound difference in patient outcomes. For nurses and nursing students specially for Institut teknologi sains dan Kesehatan (ITSK) RS dr soepraen nursing student, these skills are not optional but essential components of their education and practice. Whether in a bustling hospital, a remote community clinic, or an accident scene, the ability to provide immediate and competent BCLS and TLS can save lives and alleviate suffering.
Nursing is more than a profession; it’s a calling to serve and care for others in their most vulnerable moments. By mastering BCLS and TLS skills, nurses and nursing students honor this calling and fulfill their duty to society by providing the highest level of care, even in the face of life’s most challenging circumstances.
Author: Bayu Budi Laksono
Laksono, B. B. (2017). Analisis Pengaruh Pelatihan Resusitasi Jantung Paru Dewasa Terhadap Retensi Pengetahuan Dan Ketrampilan Resusitasi Jantung Paru Dewasa Pada Mahasiswa S1 Keperawatan Stikes Kendedes Malang. Jurnal Keperawatan Florence, 1(1).
Jamil, M., Laksono, B. B., & Merisdawati, M. R. (2021). The Effect Of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Training On Knowledge, Attitudes And Practices Of Pool Guards. Jurnal Kesehatan Dr. Soebandi, 9(1), 60-66.
Kurniawan, A. W., Laksono, B. B., Jamil, M., & Ristanto, R. (2018). Prinsip Dan Aplikasi Dasar Kegawatdaruratan Jantung Paru.
Laksono, B. B., & Jamil, M. (2021). Hubungan Pengetahuan Terhadap Perilaku Penerapan Protokol Kesehatan Pada Mahasiswa Program Studi Keperawatan Institut Tenologi Sains dan Kesehatan RS dr Soepraoen Malang. Journal of Nursing Care and Biomoleculer, 6(2), 103-112.
Jamil, M., Laksono, B. B., & Merisdawati, M. (2023). PROGRAM PELATIHAN PERTOLONGAN PERTAMA PADA KEJADIAN CIDERA DI TEMPAT WISATA AIR TERJUN COBAN JAHE MALANG. Jurnal Pengabdian Soepraoen, 1(1), 18-29.
Jamil, M., Merisdawati, M., & Laksono, B. B. (2022). Program Pelatihan Basic Life Support (BLS) Pada Relawan KSR unit ITSK RS dr. SOEPRAOEN.
Jamil, M., Laksono, B. B., Anggraini, S. N., Bagus K, S., & Nurwinda, S. (2021). Program Pelatihan Pertolongan Pertama Pada Kejadian Cidera Bagi Mahasiswa Kesehatan.
Laksono, B. B. (2015). LITERATURE REVIEW EFEKTIFITAS TERAPI FIBRINOLITIK DAN PPCI (PRIMARY PERCUTANEUS CORORNARY INTERVENTION) SEBAGAI ALTERNATIVE TERAPI REVASKULERISASI PADA ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME (ACS). Jurnal Kesehatan Hesti Wira Sakti, 3(3), 62-68.
Kurniawan, A. W., Laksono, B. B., Jamil, M., & Ristanto, R. (2018). Cara Mudah Belajar EKG dan Aplikasinya.